Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hutch Hutch Sweet Charlotte







In due course of time, the projects I have been working on lately would be showcased here in Blogspot Land. The old Roadmaster bicycle is from circa 1967 as far as I can determine. I did the restoration when I got around to it, meaning this bicycle sat unattended in my apartment for six or seven months. It now has been shined up and refurbished, with new tires, a new basket, a replacement seat and some reflectors. It works quite well.

The red and yellow dresser was another project that waited its turn for many months. The handle of each drawer was a two prong style, up at the very top of the drawer. Those were replaced with round wooden knobs in the center of each drawer. This is a quite light weight dresser and was made in Kopenhagen, so it says on the back, and is date stamped on the bottom drawer "August 7, 1962". So this dresser is about 48 years old. Now that it is restored, it is good to go for another 48 years.

The large wooden contraption sitting on top of that blue and white dresser with the red knobs is a hutch that I built from scrap lumber. I spent a good amount of time on this project, somewhere around 12 days. I would have preferred to have larger shelves for the top two shelves, but beggars of scrap lumber cannot be choosers, so I had to use what was available. This is freshly completed today and it was a challenge to pick it up and sit it on top of the dresser all by myself. There is a lot of space between the top of the dresser and the bottom of the first shelf, so that items can be placed on top of the dresser. Once books, more than likely, large books even more likely, are placed on the bottom shelf, this hutch will be well anchored on top of the dresser. No tipping allowed.


(c) 2010 by Hooknose McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UFO's Have Landed Here